What does the Olympics have to do with you and your life? Few people relate psychologist Carl Jung with the Olympic symbol, yet he is the original designer – and the five rings symbolise the five strengths to live an Olympian Life.
When the founder of the modern Olympics, Pierre de Coubertin, was looking for a symbol for the games, he turned to his friend Carl Jung. Jung knew the circle was the symbol of potential and life in ancient cultures, and introduced the idea of the five interlocking circles as a reflection of five energies – the same five found in Chinese philosophy (Jung was the first to publish the I Ching in the West, and at the 2008 Beijing Olympics the Chinese returned to the initial concept with their five mascots representing water, wood, fire, earth and metal).
This year the symbol is 100 years old, and in 1912 when Coubertin introduced it he also introduced what he saw as the keystone Olympic event, the Modern Pentathalon. This had five disciplines that to him summed up the five key attributes every ‘Olympian’ individual should have. How do you square up in these five areas in your life and business?
1. SWIMMING (Element = Water / Spirit / Blue): This discipline is about rhythm. Rhythm keeps us breathing, above water, and moving forward at pace. What is the level of rhythm you have set in your life and business, and where is there stress and disharmony where rhythm has been lost and where you’re out of synch?
2. SHOW JUMPING (Element = Wood / Spring / Green): This discipline is about power. Not the power of the rider, but your ability to harness the power of the horse. How well are you harnessing the power of your business, your market, your industry? A clue: If you’re the one doing all the work, you’re not the rider. You’re the horse.
3. FENCING (Element = Fire / Summer / Red): This discipline is about flair. Your success is dependant on having an opponent to spar with and how well you dance with them. Who are you fencing with in a way that you both are upping your game? Who should you be fencing with? And are you doing it with honour?
4. CROSS COUNTRY RUN (Element = Earth / Autumn / Yellow): This discipline is about perseverance. Cross country is about running through the elements and adjusting with the terrain, slowing when you need to and speeding up where you can. Where should you be slowing down and speeding up to win your race?
5. SHOOTING (Element = Metal / Winter / Black): This discipline is about precision. As distinctly different to the other four as they are to each other, this is not about physical exertion, but the ability to quiet the mind, let the body disappear, and hit the target. How well are you hitting your targets by doing the opposite of working hard?
Today, winning an Olympic medal isn’t on many people’s to-do list. Mainly because – without the right skills and sacrifice an Olympic medal is simply out of reach. De Coubertin’s vision was not this. It was to make sport accessible to everyone, and to use the Olympics as a way to demonstrate how sport can highlight the skillsets we need to excel at an ‘Olympian’ level in life.
So to make the most of this year’s Olympics – Be inspired by the athletes competing in the London Olympics, but also bring these five disciplines into your own performance in life, and claim your own gold.
Keep Making Magic,
Roger James Hamilton
Fast Forward your Business – UK and South Africa Tour
| London6th Sept 2012 | Manchester 10th Sept 2012 | Johannesburg 15th Sept 2012 | Cape Town 18th Sept 2012
Today we’re just 7 weeks away from my SECOND Fast Forward tour to UK and South Africa.
Here’s what you’re going to learn at this, follow up from last year, and again totally revealing and fresh event:
- The latest Top 10 trends that will make or break your business in the next 5 years and how you can tweak what you learned last year or implement from the ground up if this is your first time.
- How to future proof your business for future success and what new driving factors to be conscious of in 2012
Immediate steps to profit now from the changes taking place.
And as per usual, much much more mind bending insights and distinctions with the Wealth Dynamics Community all the way through the day….
You’ll be meeting with some really influential people from all areas of industry in your area who are on similar path to you, people who are focused on making one heck of a difference in their business, the people they work with and the community around them.
Make sure you book yourself in now and secure your place
Click on the link to see what people have to say about FFyBhttp://bit.ly/ffybtestimonial
Artificial Intelligence, Wave 1 – Top 10 Trends in Business
Here’s a video on the first wave in my Top 10 Trends in Business that was recorded just a month ago at our Fast Forward event in USA
What is this wave?
Artificial intelligence is taking computers beyond just computing information, to where they appear to understand relationships, meaning and emotions – and to where they can replace humans by doing this better than we can.
Why is this important to you?
It used to be that as companies got bigger, they got less personal. Now the opposite is true. Facebook understands what you’re interested in, so offers more relevant ads. Amazon understands what you want to buy, so suggests the next book. This takes book shops out of business. You don’t need to be in technology for this to be affecting your business today.
How fast is this wave coming?
Since I first introduced this wave last year, we have talking iPhones, the launch of talking TVs with Apple TV later this year, Google has just announced their Google Goggles, and we are seeing companies like Facebook buying Instagram for their 30 million members and databank of photos for $1 billion.
Crystal Quest Tour 2012 – 23th June – 3rd July 2012
PERU (Cuzco, Machu Picchu, Sacred Valley, Lima): We began our adventure in the Incan town of Cuzco, 3,400m high in the Andes. Cuzco is a World Heritage Site, and the historical capital of the Incan Empire. We took part in the Inti Raymi Festival. This is the second largest festival in South America, and is the ancient Incan celebration of the Sun God, Inti, on the Winter Solstice. On Day two we went to the top of Machu Picchu. With sun, rain, ruins and a double rainbow, it couldnt have been better. We headed straight to Sacred Valley on Day 3, visiting historic centres from Pisac to Ollangtaytambo to understand the role that water played in ancient myth as a connector between the divine and terrestrial. Day 4 and 5 were spent in Lima, experiencing the shift from an ancient capital to a modern one.
MEXICO (Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Mayapan, Cancun): On Day Six we travelled to Chichen Itza, one of the new Seven Wonders of the World. We saw how the Mayans became the most advanced astronomers of that period. Where they got the knowledge from, and how they mapped it out within the complex of Chichen Itza. We learnt how the 4 sides, 52 panels and 365 steps of El Castillo link to the Inca calendar, our modern-day 52 week calendar and the 52 year Venus cycle that formed the basis of the Mayan calendar. On Day Seven we visited Uxmal, the spectacular Pyramid of the Magician rising above the trees. On Day Eight, we reached Merida before heading to Cancun on Day Nine, via Ek Balam, one of the newest archealogical sites and a further stunning stop on our journey. Day 10 was in Cancun, where we shared the insights we gained on each day and how it impacted each one of us. Day 10 was the final day of Crystal Quest, the trip of a lifetime.
Click here to view photos from the trip >> http://on.fb.me/NR0iQQ
Click here to watch Roger’s video from Machu Picchu >>http://bit.ly/ffybmachupicchu
Subscribe to a daily dose of super-useful news
Are you overwhelmed by the amount of information thrown at us each day? I am. So I created my own daily news that gives me the most relevant articles around the world from the people I trust and respect. They include articles, videos, photos and links. Have a look at these brilliant news pages by clicking on any of the three links below. On the right hand column of the news page you will see a subscribe button. Click on it, and you’ll receive your own daily dose of the same super-userful news I’m looking at each day.
The Fast Forward Daily – Trends to watchhttp://bit.ly/FastForwardDaily
The Wealth Dynamics Daily – For entrepreneurshttp://bit.ly/WealthDynamicsDaily
The XL Nation Daily – For changemakers http://bit.ly/xlnation-daily